Lip Smackers! It's Friday! The weekend is upon us. All my new followers, here on Friday's I impart knowledge. Useless facts. Ridiculous information that is only useful for party tricks.
- Alcohol consumption decreases during the time of the full moon.
- Drinking lowers rather than raises the body temperature. There is an illusion of increased heat because alcohol causes the capillaries to dilate and fill with more warm blood.
- "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is commonly believed to be the only English sentence devised to include all the letters of the alphabet. However, typesetters have another such sentence: "Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs."
- In old
, a whistle was baked into the rim or handle of ceramic cups used by pub patrons. When they wanted a refill, they used the whistle to get service. So when people went drinking, they would "wet their whistle." England
- In ancient
, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead (fermented honey beverage) he could drink for a month after the wedding. Because their calendar was lunar or moon-based, this period of free mead was called the "honey month," or what we now call the "honeymoon." Babylon
- Methyphobia is fear of alcohol.
- In the 1600's thermometers were filled with brandy instead of mercury.
- The shallow champagne glass originated with Marie Antoinette. It was first formed from wax molds made of her breasts.
- Desi Arnaz's grandfather was one of the founders of the largest rum distillery in the world.
cocktail (whiskey and sweet vermouth) was invented by Winston Churchill's mother. Manhattan
- Tom Arnold, Sandra Bullock,
Chevy Chase, Bill Cosby, Kris Kristofferson, and Bruce Willis are all former bartenders
- The U.S. Marines’ first recruiting station was in a bar.