back to top html arrow button

Share a Spoon - Souper Chicken Pot Pie

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

 Think Tank Momma



Share a Spoon

"Chicken Pot Pie SOUP!"



This week is all about that belly warming, comforting down to your toes, gotta eat it with a spoon....SOUP!  Last week, my good friend Andrea over at Good Girl Gone Redneck tweeted me up.  She was asking what the theme was last week because she couldn't find it (hangs head in shame) but there wasn't a theme.  I flaked out on my blog last week.  I have been a little overwhelmed with the whole going back to work, getting back on schedule, kids back to school, cooking, cleaning....being the mom, chauffeur, cook, maid, etc.....

Anygoodfornothinglameexcuse, I tweeted to @goodgirlgonered that she could have this week's theme....SOUP.  She has some yummy chowder to share with us!  Yeah for participation!  *ahem*

When I was thinking of recipes to share this week, I kept craving chicken pot pie.  I thought, I can make that into a soup!  So...I put those flavors into my soup pot...I thickened up the soup a bit, topped it with a biscuit.  SCORE!  I love chicken pot pie.  It reminds me of when I was little.  Chicken pot pie is like Electric Co., Bert and Ernie, Grover the Waiter, The Count, Oscar the Grouch and the Kool-Aid Guy all wrapped up in a warm blanket!  The only thing you'll be missing is Cookie Monster...but hey, grab a cookie for dessert and you'll be set!

You are remembering those little tins with pot pies in them now aren't you?  I loved those when I was little.  Then when I grew up, I found the grown up version of those in the freezer case...made by a famous Marie.  I fell in love all over again.  Then Marie broke my heart.  I read the label on her perfect pot pie box!  HOLY HELL talk about blowing a month's worth of fat grams for one little pot pie.  So...I had to break up with her.

This soup will bring you back to those childhood memories, satisfy that craving, AND???  It's waaaaaay less fat and calories than that famous Marie's version.  Now, mind you...I took out the "pie", crust that is.  The biscuit will replace that, and really, you could omit that if you wanted.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts diced
4-5 medium gold potatoes diced
4-5 large carrots diced
4 stalks celery diced
1 large onion diced
2 large cloves garlic grated
4 stems thyme
salt n' pepper
8 cups chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

In a large heavy bottom soup pot over medium high heat, brown diced chicken in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.

Once chicken is cooked through (about 6-8 minutes), add grated garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, celery and throw in the thyme.  Stir will and let the veggies cook for about 5 minutes.

Add 8 cups of chicken stock.  Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are fork tender.

Dissolve corn starch in cold water.  Stir into soup.  Add cream.  Bring the soup back to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove the thyme stems.  All the leaves will have fallen off and into the soup.

Cook biscuits.  I'll share my tip here.  I buy the frozen biscuits.  They are in the freezer case at the grocery store.  Not the refrigerated case, the freezer case.  Don't give me any grief.  Look, I've told ya'll...I can make anything I want, except a biscuit.  Don't tell me I can do it, Paula Deen herself could not help me make a biscuit.  It's my nemesis, my kryptonite.  I've tried!  Like a gazillion times.

Moving right along....top your soup with a biscuit (frozen or otherwise) and serve.  If you can make fabulous biscuits?  Bully for you.  Bite me!

Kidding.  Sort of.

This soup takes little effort and is so freaking yummy!  You'll love it, I promise.  Best part is, you won't hate yourself for eating that pot pie!

Now, get off your badonkadonks and type up your favorite soup to SHARE with us this week!  Do it!  Do it now!

Leave me some love and since we are getting to the season of sharing and FOOD, tell me what you want to see here on #ShareaSpoon in the weeks to come!









1 comment:

Babes Mami said...

NOM! I love this time of year for soups and warm cozy comfy foods!