back to top html arrow button

Share a Spoon - Out with the Old and In with the New

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Think Tank Momma



Share a Spoon

New Year's Edition

Out with the old and In with the New

Every little girl from the South knows that on New Year's day you have to have black-eyed peas, greens and cornbread.  They may not be able to tell you why, just that, that's what you eat.  If you ask someone over the age of 40 they probably can tell you the superstition that goes with it.

Remember I told you that my Granny is superstitious.  I mean she says things like if her nose is itching someone must be coming.  If her palms are itchy she must be gonna come inta some money.  Silly stuff like that.  When it comes to New Year's there's of course, the black-eyed peas and greens.  However, there is much more than that.  We were never allowed to do laundry on New Year's either.  Why?  Well I asked that question too.

You'll love this one.  If you do laundry on New Year's?  It means you'll be buried in laundry for the coming year.  Um....hello?  That's called motherhood. Just sayin'!  Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  It's right up there with the black-eyed peas and ham being for luck and the cabbage or greens being a sign for money in the coming year. 

Yeah???  I ate that meal last year, and every other effin' year of my life.  Let me just say this.  The shit don't work.  However, be it a superstition or not, and as ridiculous as it is, that is what I'll be eating come Saturday.

However, first, first comes the party the night before.  Now that I am all settled and old grown up, going out on New Year's just doesn't have the same appeal it once did.  Staying off the road with the crazies and drunks is my idea of good luck for the New Year, but hey...to-mA-to, to-Mah-to. 

So super duper at home Snack Mix for the PARTY, you know with the kiddos and friends and family.

Crispix n' Pecans Mix

8 cups Crispix cereal
2 cups pecans
3 cups pretzels
1 stick butter 
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot sauce (can be adjusted to suit your taste)
1 Tablespoon Seasoning Salt
1 Tablespoon Garlic powder
1 Tablespoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon Kosher salt

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
In a large bowl combine the pretzels, cereal and nuts.
In a medium bowl add stick of butter.  
Top the stick of butter with lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and Seasoning salt.  Heat on high for 90 seconds (or until butter is completely melted).
Whisk all ingredients together until emulsified.
Drizzle into the cereal mix a little at a time.  Stirring until all the mix is well coated.
Spread coated mix out on two sheet pans.
Sprinkle with kosher salt.
Bake at 275 for 1 hour.  Turn mix at the 30 minute mark.
Allow to cool and then store in an airtight container.

I end up having to make several batches of this through the holidays.  The combination of the nuts and cereal is just perfect.  You can certainly use Chex cereal if you like.  I prefer Crispix.  Feel free to use the nuts you like as well.



Now, onward to the black-eyed peas.  Remember I cook a ham overnight on Christmas Eve?  It serves two purposes.  One, I don't have to worry about breakfast on Christmas morning.  The second?  I have a nice big yummy bone to flavor my black-eyed peas!  Score for me!

New Year's Black-Eyed Peas

1 small onion
1 large ham bone 
1 bag dried black eyed peas
1 box chicken stock
water

In a small saute pan with a little olive oil or butter saute the chopped onion until just translucent.
Add the onion to the crock pot.
Wash the peas and add to the crock pot.
Add ham bone.
Add the box of chicken stock.
Add water until the bone and peas are completely covered.
After the party winds down and you are ready for bed, turn the crock pot on low and cook peas for 8 hours.

Tah Dah!  No fuss, no muss.

I boil a head of cabbage the next day with a stick of butter, a little salt, pepper and about 1/2 cup of water on medium heat until the cabbage is just tender.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Now, link your New Year's meal, favorite party drink or appetizers for the big she-bang and have yourself a safe and happy holiday!




 




8 comments:

Ducky said...

Looks yummerific!!! And I linked up but I forgot to put that it was over at my blog in the title lol Oh well...maybe the mystery will draw people :O)

And you'll like this one I think. Its a yummy drink :O)

BNM said...

mama does all the cookin and black eyed peas are def on the menu, we are going to her house since its new years eve & my bday the only thing ill be making is mimosas

gallon of OJ
bottle of champagne
couple of fresh squeezed oranges & shake it all up.. pour & enjoy :)

KristinFilut said...

Are black-eyed peas a bean? Shush, I'm a Minnesotan! We don't make that stuff up here! Remember?!?!?

Babes Mami said...

I love the new years eve meal, it never works but we keep on making it! Papi has to work so we will not be having that unless Babe manages to stay up long enough (he gets off at 5pm and Babe has been going to bed at 5pm) to go to a friends.

Happy New Year!

gayle said...

I made or should I say my husband made several batches of the same. I can't stop eating it!

Macey said...

Crispix and Pecan mix??? Did you know someone ate all my Chex mix?? And I was pissed?? So now I have to go get the stuff to make this!!!

Anonymous said...

That Chex mix sounds really really yummy!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess I totally effed myself on laundry for the year. Why didn't I know that?! ;-)

Happy New Year!