back to top html arrow button

Share a Spoon - Holiday Cookies

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Think Tank Momma



Share a Spoon

Cookies for Santa!

We love cookies here at Casa di Romano!  Kamden is my Cookie Monster.  The child is all about sweet treats and his favorite sweets are cookies.  Give him a Snickerdoodle and you own his heart.  If you make chocolate chip cookies you better make a double batch!

I always make lots of cookies this time of year for baskets and plates for gifts.    I try to find a new recipe to try each year and I just keep adding to the list of what I make!  Everyone has a request.  I make Ina Garten's Jam Thumbprints for my dad.  He loves them, and when I don't make them, I get in trouble!  *wink*  If you have never tried them, I highly recommend them, they're one of my favorites.

This cookie I originally had with different fillings and I took some creative liberties to make it suit my tastes.  I made these last night for a cookie social for my sister to take to work.

Cream Cheese Strudel Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
4 oz cold cream cheese 
1 stick cold butter
4 heaping tablespoons apricot preserves
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 dried pomegranate or cranberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a food processor mix flour, cold cream cheese cubed, and cold butter cubed.

Pulse until the butter and cream cheese are little bits distributed through the flour.  Pour onto a floured surface and press dough into a ball.  

Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 15 minutes.



Cut the disc of dough in half.  Roll out to a thin rectangle.



Spread two heaping tablespoons of the apricot preserves over the dough leaving just a bit of the dough exposed around the edges.

Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of pecans and dried pomegranates.


Roll from the long side over to create a log.  Pinch the ends closed and the seam.


Cut into twelve even slices with a very sharp knife.



Bake for 16-18 minutes in your 375 degree preheated oven.

Allow to cool on the pan for a bit.

Remove and serve!



These cookies are great with substitutions like orange marmalade, cranberry and pistachio.  Substitute out the nuts for some sweetened coconut (the way I originally had them).  The dough is light and flaky, and not too sweet so the sweetness of the preserves compliments it nicely!

Now it's your turn!  Share your favorite festive cookies!

11 comments:

Moooooog35 said...

Or, for you single dads out there:

Nestle Break-n-Bakes.

You're welcome.

Kim of Mo Betta said...

This is a new one for me, but it sounds delish...especially the orange marmalade and cranberries!

Unknown said...

I just found your blog by the comment you left on, Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner. I have signed up to follow your blog and have linked a chocolate chip cookie recipe to it.

Thanks!
Linda Burgett
http://www.mykindofcooking.com/

Ducky said...

Moooog cracks me up! My sister would go with the break n bake too. Course she had trouble making scrambled eggs and would often burn grilled cheese. She was finally getting the hang of being int he kitchen...only took her until she hit 35. LOL

These look SO yummy. Little Duck is quite the helper in the kitchen. We have plans for baking this weekend. We'll have to add these to the list. I'm so ready to sample. MMMMMMgood!

Babes Mami said...

I tried bake n break once just to see how they were and I was not impressed.

These cookies look tasty! I have two cookie monsters now and I'm always having to double if me or anyone else are going to get any lol.

Andrea said...

OMG, girl. Those look SOOO good. Wow. And yum. Wow. I do admit to using the break and bake now and then. I mean, sometimes you just NEED cookies, ya know? ;) I'll try to link up this week! [Total slacker, I know!]

Go Mommy said...

Those sound so yummy and I love the way rolled cookies look!

Buffee said...

These were a HUGE HIT at my work cookie swap social thingy today! They were the first to go! Everyone loved loved loved them!

Thanks sissy for making them!

Imaginative Me said...

Oh My, these sound delectable! I love cookies! So do my little monkeys! We're gonna be baking sweets this weekend, have to try these ones.
Thanks for sharing!

Holly Lefevre said...

Trouble! Cream cheese and cookies.Sorry no baking for me this week. I love everyone's recipes though!

Anonymous said...

Sooooo, better WAY late than never??

Your cookies look yummy!