back to top html arrow button

Share a Spoon - Breakfast SoS

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Think Tank Momma



Share a Spoon

BREAKFAST

Compliments of @amberella87

SOS aka Chip Beef Gravy on Texas Toast


This is a favorite at my house.  I'm not even kidding.  This is Kamden's favorite meal of all time.  I know.  I think the same thing, of all the things I make?  THIS is his favorite?  It is though.  As a matter of fact, he's converted his Uncle Will to his line of thinking too.  I get requests for this meal on a regular basis.

I try to make it sparingly, as this is not exactly figure friendly.  I mean, butter, cream, dried beef, even the toast is Texas sized!  It's an indulgence for sure.  Comfort food at it's very definition.

Chipped Beef Gravy n' Texas Toast

1 Bottle of dried beef
6 Tablespoons butter (plus more for toast)
1/4 flour
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 cups of heavy cream
1 teaspoon nutmeg
fresh cracked black pepper
Texas Toast

Remove dried beef from bottle.  Cut in half, and then cut into thin strips.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter.  Add the dried beef strips and stir.  Make sure to coat all the beef with butter.

Add the flour and  cook for a minute or two to cook out the raw flour taste.

Whisk in milk slowly.  Stir in heavy cream.  If mixture is too thick add additional milk as needed.

Add in lots of freshly cracked black pepper and the teaspoon of nutmeg.  I grate fresh nutmeg for this, but you can use ground nutmeg.

Toast the Texas toast in the oven or in your toaster.  Butter lightly.

Serve the gravy over the toast!

Now it's your turn.  Share your breakfast favorites!  Leave me some love!








6 comments:

The Princess of Sarcasm said...

This is my favorite breakfast!! My dad is the mack daddy of chipped beef gravy. (Shhhh...don't tell my mom I said that. It will be war in the castle.) We make it using evaporated milk and without nutmeg. My dad likes it over toast, but I prefer it over biscuits. Yummmmmmmmmmmy!

Liz Mays said...

I've never had that before, and honestly I didn't even know how it was made. I am making this. I am, I am, I am. Thank you!

Andrea said...

Uhm, you kinda lost me at the chipped beef, but I'm so totally all over the breakfast stuff. :)

Andrea said...

p.s. I was totally thinking I would share a spoon with my pumpkin oatmeal, but I DID ALREADY!!! Argh. :) Off to find something else ...

Meg said...

Erm, I somehow can't get my mind around this as a breakfast food. Maybe I'll start with trying it as an evening snack.

shoes uk said...

very beautiful post your idea is very nice and perfect