back to top html arrow button

Share a Spoon - Pesto Pea Bowtie Pasta Salad

Thursday, July 7, 2011

 Think Tank Momma




Share a Spoon

"Pesto Pea BowTie Salad"

Image provided via Google Images.

My family loves pasta.  Casa di Romano is a proverbial house of pasta.  Romano's Macaroni Grille ain't got nothin' on us!  Ha!  I crack myself up.  Seriously though, it's probably my favorite side.  We eat pasta like most people eat potatoes or rice.  So when Gayle (Gramme's Blog) asked for Pasta Salads I was thrilled to share.

I make all sorts of salads with pasta and even the kiddos will eat them.  I usually make a large batch each time because the great thing about pasta is the more it sits, the better it tastes.  Pasta will absorb the flavors of whatever you put with it, so therefore sitting allows it take on the flavors!

One of my boys' favorite is a pesto pea salad.  I know you are thinking NO WAY.  But, it's true, they LOVE IT.  They love pesto on many things.  It's Mini-me's favorite on pizza as the sauce.  They love it on potatoes, and on pasta???  They can't get enough of it!

Pesto Pea BowTie Pasta Salad

1 box bowtie pasta (cooked and drained)
olive oil
1 bag frozen baby sweet peas (thawed)
1 cup pesto (I make my own but store bought is fine)
1 cup mayo (I use Hellman's always)
1/2 cup pine nuts (or your favorite nut)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 lemon zested and juiced
Fresh basil
salt and pepper

Cook pasta in heavily salted water until al dente according to package directions.  Drain.  Toss pasta with olive oil to prevent sticking and set aside to cool.

In the food processor, add 1 cup of the thawed peas, the pesto, lemon zest and juice.  Pulse until well combined.  Add the mayo, salt and pepper.  Blitz until combined.

Toss the pasta with the pesto/mayo/pea mixture until well coated.  Add the peas, nuts, and grated cheese and toss.  Top with a bit of fresh basil.

This salad is great at room temperature but is also good cold.


Alright Smackers!  It's your turn.  Share your favorite pasta salad!  Then let me know what you want to see in the coming weeks for Share a Spoon!







2 comments:

Ducky said...

I just made a huge batch of pesto yesterday! I LOVE the way the house smells with fresh basil in it!

Pasta is ALWAYS a hit at the pond!

Kimberly at Foodies Unite said...

this sounds so yummy! the only time I like to eat peas is in a salad like this! Adding to the box :)