back to top html arrow button

Share a Spoon - Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Think Tank Momma



Share a Spoon - SOUPS

compliments of

The Truth According to Buffee

Growing up we ate soups and stews, a lot!  My mom used to cook soups all day and put a whole lot of love in those pots.  Lucky for me, I have learned some short cuts, and I don't have to spend all day making a hearty pot of soup in order to enjoy all that flavor.  Plus, THANK GOD for Food Network.  I swear, they have single handedly revolutionized the grocery stores and what's available at the local markets.

My secret for great soups is boxed stocks.  Now, once a year after Thanksgiving, I do make turkey soup and I make my own turkey stock and it takes all day.  However, that's a once a year kind of deal.  You know, holiday special.  Most of the time, it's quick fast and in a hurry.  I promise though, my shortcuts will give you a great bowl of soup in short order!

So here's my version of my mom's Vegetable Beef Soup.


Image provided via Google images.


I didn't make this yet this week, as I have been busy preparing for company.  However, me, That One Mom and Buffee will be having this soup TONIGHT!  That's right!  A blogger party at my HOUSE!  What's more welcoming than a big hearty beautiful bowl of soup?  Nada!

Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup

Ingredients:

1 Large package stew meat
1 Large Onion diced
4 celery stalks chopped
3 carrots chopped
4-6 red potatoes diced (I leave the skins on)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 clove of garlic(fresh) grated
1 bag frozen soup vegetable mix
1/2 bag of frozen sweet corn 
1 large can petite diced tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 boxes beef stock
salt n' pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2-3 teaspoon fresh flat leaf parsley chopped

In a large heavy bottomed soup pot heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat.  Salt and pepper your stew meat and brown the stew meat on all sides.  Once beef is browned, remove from pot. 

Add onions, celery, potatoes and carrots and dried oregano to the pot.  Cook vegetables until they begin to soften.  5-7 minutes.  Grate the fresh garlic clove and stir into the vegetables.  Add tomato paste.  Stir well.  Reduce heat to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add one box of stock and make sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to pick up all the browned bits.  Add the meat back to the pot.  Add crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes.  Stir well.  Add the last box of stock.  Bring to a boil.

Stir in the frozen soup veggies and the frozen corn.  Cover and let the soup boil for 30 - 45 minutes.  Turn heat down to simmer and add the fresh chopped flat leaf parsley.  Allow soup to simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Serve with some crusty bread or my husband's favorite Premium Saltine Crackers.

NOTE:  This soup turns out great in the crock pot too.  Just brown the stew meat.  Add to crock pot.  Add all the additional ingredients, except for the parsley.  Allow the soup to cook in the crock pot all day (6-8 hours).  When you get home, turn the crock pot off and add the parsley.

Now, break out your favorite soup recipe and get over here and link it up!





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds really good. Since I'm the only one to eat soups in my house.(I live with weirdos) I save left over veggies and rice in the freezer. When I have a decent amount I throw together veggie beef soup. Grilled corn on the cob adds an awesome flavor to the soup.

Buffee said...

mmmmm....yummy.... I CANNOT WAIT! Tonight can't get here fast enough!

You, me, and That One Mom, it's on, like Donkey Kong! Partay!

Woot Woot!

jayayceeblog said...

We love soups and stews too. I buy the Bear Creek soup mixes and add meat and more veggies to them. Your Vegetable Beef recipe sounds really good!

Michelle Pixie said...

Ooooh YUM! I will be definitely putting this into the rotation! I love easy slow-cooker kind of meals. :p

Yankee Girl said...

The only thing I like about the fall (other than the fresh picked apples of course) is that it is soup and chili season. And I can make it in the crock pot? Simply awesome.

Anonymous said...

Im tired today. So I made the hubs go buy a can of clam chowder. =)

Kim of Mo Betta said...

I love anything I can make in the crock pot!!

Nancy C said...

Delicious! I was feeling mopey today so I didn't join up with you. I DID however, write about one of my best friends for the FYL contest....it made me feel much better. I'll be in next week, SWEARSIES.

Gabi said...

Hey Momma!
I told you I wouldn't forget.

I even left you three recipes to make up for my recent absences. :)

That vegetable soup looks good. Can't wait to try it. The corn bisque too.

Yummy!

Holly Lefevre said...

I am going to bed dreaming of soup. I LOVE a good hearty soup. In fact, we are soup people here.

Momma Fargo said...

Yummy and the weather is changing out here to be quite fallish. Makes soup taste even better.

Ducky said...

Its not quite cold enough here for this yet but I'm SO ready for it. I'm just going to have to turn the AC down to frigid and and start shoveling it in ;O)