back to top html arrow button

Share a Spoon - Crunchy Ranch Chicken Tenders

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

 Think Tank Momma



Share a Spoon

"Cereal, It's not just for Breakfast!"

Stephanie over at The Blue Zoo came up with this week's theme.  She has been one of my most faithful Share a Spoon contributors, and friends over the past year.  I puffy heart her!  She makes really awesome cookies as an aside!  Yep, we swapped cookies in a cookie swap.  I was super excited that Steph and I got partnered up because I know she can bake!

Now, I know that everyone has had some version of the recipe I'm going to share today, but, I think my additions to the original will make your taste buds do a happy dance!  You Smackers know that I am not big on frying things.  This recipe will please your cravings for something crispy without all the guilt of deep frying.



Crunchy Ranch "Oven-Fried" Chicken Tenders

2 lbs Chicken tenders
2 cups low-fat Buttermilk
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Salt and pepper the tenders.  Sprinkle with the cayenne pepper.  Add the chicken to a large zip top plastic bag and cover with the buttermilk.  Massage the chicken to evenly distribute the seasonings.  Refrigerate for 2 hours.

3-4 cups Cornflakes cereal
1 package powdered Buttermilk Ranch dressing
3 eggs (or equivalent egg substitute) plus water for egg wash
Flour for dusting.

Blitz the cornflakes and Ranch powder mix in the food processor until the cornflakes are crushed.

Set up three shallow dishes.  In one put the flour.  

In the second, whisk the eggs with 1/4 cup of water.  Add a dash or two of hot sauce if desired.

Last set up is the ranch cornflakes.

Remove the tenders from the buttermilk.  Drain all excess liquid.  Lightly dredge in the flour.  Shake off all excess flour.

Dip in the egg mixture.  The flour will help the egg wash adhere.

Roll the tender in the cornflake mix.

Place the tenders on a prepared baking sheet with aluminum foil and cooking spray.  (or use the non-stick aluminum foil)

Cook on 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.  (Depends on the size of your tenders and your oven baking times.)

Cook's Note:  This recipe can easily be adapted for boneless skinless chicken breasts.  Just make sure the breasts are all evenly sized and not too thick.  You'll need to cook the breasts a little longer as well.  If you use large(ish) breasts, decrease the heat to 325 degrees and cook for about an hour.  This will allow the chicken to cook through without burning the coating.


There you have it Smackers!  Next time you see that Cornflakes cereal on sale B1G1 free and you have coupons, and you think to yourself, no one will eat that, remember, there are plenty of things you can do with those Cornflakes!!

Now, leave me some love.  Then go type up your favorite cereal recipe.  Then link up with us!!  As always, I'm open to suggestions.  Let me know what YOU want to host here on Share a Spoon.










5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, yummy! Im going to have to make these for sure. Donovan informed me that he only eats chicken in the shape of a nugget. lol That kid drives me crazy!

Kim of Mo Betta said...

Blogger is giving me hell today, and now I've linked up twice :P I think I need to get off the computer! I pulled one from the archives, but it's super yummy! This chicken also looks delish. I never think to use cereal as a coating, and my kids would probably love it. (Seeing as they practically live off cereal)

Andrea said...

These look SO good. My hubby captured my heart with a corn flake or special K coated chicken recipe. He hasn't made 'em since! I even have a cereal cookbook, yummmmm! ;)

Ally said...

corn flakes on ANY cut of chicken make for an awesome taste sensation! have you ever had cap 'n crunch chicken. sounds gross, tastes awesome!

drollgirl said...

um PRINTING THIS ONE!! nom nom!!!!!

i have a recipe at home for cheesy baked sour cream & cheesy potatoes with cornflake crumbles and butter on top. it is not healthy. and it is pretty pretty tasty. lol