back to top html arrow button

Share a Spoon - Breakfast

Thursday, August 4, 2011

 Think Tank Momma



Share a Spoon

"Breakfast"

FRENCH TOAST

Images via Google Images


French toast is my favorite thing ever.  It really is.  I love love love it!  I remember watching my mom make it when I was little and I would be so excited to eat it once she poured that syrupy goodness over the top of that yummy eggy toasty bread!  YUM-MMMMMMMYYYYYY!

I've tried french toast on just about every kind of bread trying to find the perfect canvas for the custard mix I have created for the ultimate french toast experience.  Many breads work.  For quite awhile I was convinced it was Texas toast.  However, I can't always find Texas Toast on the shelf when I am craving french toast.  So...one evening while shopping and preparing to make a big weekend breakfast I couldn't find any and as I was walking to the checkout right in front of the register was a basket full of fresh baked french bread.

It was fate.  I'm not kidding.  It was the perfect canvas.  Oh. Yes. It. Was!  My boys were in heaven the next morning.  I was called ROCKSTAR mom on more than one occasion.  There were high fives, the angels sang, the sky was lit up with fireworks, it was magical!  O.k., I might be exaggerating a little.  Maybe.  Let my over excitement help you understand how perfect this french toast is though!

The following recipe will make two loaves of french bread.  I usually have several slices left over.  I freeze them.  Then when the kids want french toast a couple of days later they warm them in the toaster.  It's perfect!

French Toast

2 loaves french bread cut into 1/2 in slices
8 extra large eggs
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and cream.  Make sure the eggs are all incorporated into the milk and cream.

Mix in sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Whisk until sugar is completely dissolved and the spices are well distributed.

Soak slices of french bread a couple at a time.

Heat a griddle or non-stick pan to medium high heat.  I use an electric griddle at 350 degrees.  I use a little butter on the griddle, but you can certainly substitute cooking spray.

Cook for a few minutes on each side, flipping occasionally until toast is browned well on each side.  Don't cook on super sonic heat or the custard will still be gooey.  

Top toast with a little butter, dust with powdered sugar and good maple syrup.

Voila!

I'm told this toast is fabulous with fruit, I just don't like fruit on mine.

Alright Smackers, that's my favorite breakfast!  Now it's your turn.  What's your favorite breakfast??